Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dreaming of Impossible Things


I love serendipity and synchronicity, and the way things on your mind seem to circle back into the dailiness of your life again and again. Last Sunday, I began a list in my journal. (I told you I was an irrepressible list-maker.) The list is titled Things I Long For. It really is a list about things. This one contains no strong, character-driven wishes. Just a list of material things that would delight me. Today, I was reading some old posts by Maddie of Persisting Stars. One she wrote struck a particular chord with me. Perhaps because it references one of my favorite quotes of all time.
There is no use trying" said Alice, "One can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice" said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!" ~ Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland
I love that quote so much because I believe in impossible things. In fact, my favorite "quote" is actually a Bible Verse. Jesus looked at them and said, " With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." ~ Mark 10:27

I love dreaming of impossible things. I find it amazing to realize just how many impossible things have come true for me. Here's my best example. I spent my childhood reading fairy tales, pretending to star in them, and writing my own. I also spent it in a warm and happy home with parents who loved each other and us. When I was a young adult my mother really believed it wasn't possible that I would find a man I was willing to marry. At least not without changing my standards. You see, I was bound and determined to find my own knight on a white horse. I would only marry a man who was a wonderful as my father. I wanted a man who would treat me as well as my Dad treated my Mom. My father really is extraordinary, and Mom worried for me that no more such men existed. I refused to believe she was right. I just kept on dreaming impossible dreams. And praying faithfully; asking God for what some thought impossible. About a year and a half later, at our rehearsal dinner my mother gave a toast. She told the story I just related and said how very glad she was to be wrong. She said that Jeffrey had made all my fairy tale dreams come true. She was right.

She still is right. Jeffrey and I have been joyfully married almost 16 years. Impossible dreams come true every day.
Here's to your impossible dreams coming true, too.

The whimsical illustration above is by Lisbeth Zwerger.

No comments:

Oldies, but Goodies