Sunday, November 23, 2008

That Radiant Feeling

My friend Beth recently posted this creative, compelling post. Her question, "so tell me, sweet ones. How are you feeling?"

This was my answer, "How am I feeling? Radiant. I've had a few major successes at work. There are three children that I know for certain I've made a real difference in their lives. You don't always know. Mostly, you just have to hope and pray. And keep on doing. On Friday - well, I knew. What a gift that was!"

All weekend, I have been thankful. Thankful for that radiant feeling. Thankful for blogging friends who ask great questions. Thankful for those who celebrate with us. Thankful for family who sacrifices playtime with me so that I can get the job done well. Thankful for so many blessings.

But, most of all, thankful for the chance I have each day to serve; to touch lives. To make a difference. To be real. To be my silliest, most authentic self and have it matter.

My job lends itself to service, I know. But, there are so many people in all walks of life, being real. Authentic. Loving and serving and making a difference. Today I am grateful to them. I am grateful to have those opportunities myself. I am brimming over with gratitude that my mother was right. It really is better to give than to receive.




The wonderful girl with gifts is a scan of original art by Rosie Winstead. I have nine of her miniature watercolors hanging in a perfect grid on my kitchen wall. Every one of them is me in one way or another.

10 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love you my sweet friend
I will gladly go to the show with you anytime.
I wish we lived closer.
Love all you share.
Love Jeanne

ELK said...

oh yes ~ to touch the kids that you teach a great "perk"

thanks for the link to Rosie...have a super monday..short week right?

Lubna said...

Hello Relyn,
Wonderful posts as always. I visited your blog after a gap of few days. It is also important to receive, to receive with gratitude and I think you do that beautifully by appreciating everything around you and even blogging about it.
Best
Lubna

Anonymous said...

Beautifully Written Relyn!

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for..........finding YOU! What a wonderful blog...so serene. You have picked two of my favorite songs. I will be back to visit!

christina said...

I am so glad that there are students that you know, you have made a difference with.

Here are to the students you haven't realized you made a difference with yet. Here's to the happiness you will feel when you run into these students, later in life and they shower you with a story, about how they never forgot you and how much you stayed with them.

I recently saw my 5th grade teacher and I thought she should know, how much she meant to me. ; )

You are beautiful, my friend.

Jessica said...

Your words are always so eloquent and perfect, but today...they are words that really resonated with me. Teaching lends itself to finding who you truly are and using your gifts to raise children so that they can become their best selves. Oh, I wish you were nearby to share a cup of tea with!

Patti said...

Hi Relyn! Don't you just love those "aha" moments that totally validate why we do what we do! And you DO make a difference...everytime you make a connection with one of your students. You never know how much of an impact you have had- but I have a feeling you are one of the special people in a lot of those children's lives. One of those teachers that kids can't wait to go back to visit. Lucky them! To have had the wonder of knowing you! For that I am sure they are grateful!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and enjoy your we;;-deserved break (lucky us, right?!)

Patti

Thanks for the visitng and commenting- I am so very grateful for that!

My Castle in Spain said...

Dear Relyn,
I'm so glad to read this. I already knew you were a great teacher loved by your students and this is even more wonderful when you get proper results and can make a difference.

Bravo !!
and have a great week full of love and smiles
hugs to little Sloane
:-)

paris parfait said...

A really love, uplifting post, Relyn. Thank you!

Oldies, but Goodies