Monday, November 22, 2010

Good Advice

As you may know, a habit of gratitude is a way of life for me. My family makes a point every day to be grateful, to notice the good things in our lives, and to say thank you for them. I keep a family blog where we each list one of our daily gratitudes. I'd love it if you'd stop by for a visit.

a few favorites

Wear the old coat. Buy the new book.

~ Austin Phelps via Willow
Last year I began a tradition here on my blog to make Thanksgiving week a week of gratitude. Each day this week I'll be posting about a particular thing I am grateful for. Today, it's reading. I've written many bookish thoughts already. But, still.

I am thankful today for reading. I am thankful for the opportunity each day to delight children with books; to introduce them to old books they might not pick up on their own. I am thankful that each day after lunch I can pile up with kids and a good book and make the story come alive with only my voice. I am thankful for the wonderful escape and adventure a good book has always provided. I am thankful for the beautiful, cozy feel books give our home.

I am thankful for the ability to read. And for the opportunity to pass along such a wonderful gift. Happy reading, my friends.

11 comments:

Renee said...

Hi Relyn, I came across your blog from another blog and I just want to tell you that your thoughts, your pictures, your music are wonderful. I will visit you again. Thank you for the beauty you have created in this virtual world. I am thankful for my beautiful family and the special joy of being together this Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Unknown said...

Reading is one of the greatest pleasures in the world, thank you Relyn for reminding me. For taking me back to 4th grade when our teacher spellbound us with a chapter of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory each afternoon. What a memory! Your students will remember you so long from now, it's just amazing how that works...

I'm grateful that our paths have crossed!

xo Mary Jo

Susan said...

Reading has been a huge part of my life since I was old enough for the letters to make sense on the page and it was because of teachers like you. Thank you, Relyn, for this reminder of what a gift books, and the people who write them, are. And thanks to all the teachers who sparked the love of words.

Jeanne said...

An attitude of gratitude is always the very best.
God bless you my friend at this time of Thanksgiving and always
Love Jeanne♥

Marilyn Miller said...

Yes, books and being able to read are things I am also grateful for. In Portland we have a program called SMART. Volunteers come in to schools and read with individual children for a 1/2 hour per child. The program is for children that don't have books in their homes and have not acquired a love of books. I started volunteering at my neighborhood school this year and enjoy reading with these little ones. Once in the while they have books that are given to the children to take home and keep. The little boy I gave one to recently couldn't believe he got to keep it.

Yolanda said...

I just wanted to say it is one of mine too as you know. Hope you have a wonderful Holiday and thanks for the card and bookmark.

Cathi said...

I remember when I finished reading my first big book - one that had around 100 pages. I was so proud of myself as were my parents. Books have always been a major part of my life and when I had kids, I read to them while pregnant and kept on going thru their childhood. They are grown up now and are BIG readers. This makes me so proud! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! xxoo :)

Amy said...

Mmmm-hmmmm! Books are indeed something to be thankful for! :)

HKatz said...

I'm grateful that there are good teachers out there who show children the beauty of the written word.

Joanna said...

Since a very young child I too have always lost myself in a world of books, as does my 14 year old daughter. My 16 year old son just doesn't 'get it', and can't be bothered to read. I get him books with a storyline that I know he'll enjoy but they sit gathering dust in his bedroom. He's much more of a visual media boy. This really saddens me but I'm hopeful that one day he'll realise how much pleasure he can get from a book.

I work as a Teaching Assistant in a primary school and it never fails to delight me when a child goes from being an unwilling and struggling reader to actually enjoying a book and wanting to share it with me, laughing and pointing along the way.

xx

Jaime said...

I am seriously amazed at the number of titles you can plow through in such a short period of time! Your goodreads updates are so frequent, I can hardly keep up with you! I am in awe. I really am.

What is that little black book on the far left?
Looks interesting.

Oldies, but Goodies