This is a time of year for celebration. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, the winter solstice, or something else we all benefit from the extra warmth, cheer, and beauty of this season. Here are a few ways I like to celebrate. My list is heavy on Christmas, since that's what I celebrate. Won't you share some of your own?
Ways to celebrate...
- make cookies or peppermint bark and deliver them to your child's school to be placed in the teacher workroom along with a note of appreciation
- when you sing carols, try to have this much fun
- give your teachers and coaches gift cards - they really don't want those cute ideas pictured in magazines
- give hugs, lots and lots of hugs
- be patient, we all need it just now
- listen to Danny Wright, Emile Pandolfi, and Tim Janis' Christmas music
- watch the original Miracle on 34th Street
- go caroling, really
- when you buy practicals to donate to your local food bank, add a huge bag of MnMs, too
- gather your family in front of the fire and read How The Grinch Stole Christmas to them - don't forget to do the voices
- keep change with you and donate to every Salvation Army bell ringer you pass
- remember what it is that makes you rich
- wish everyone you see a loud and joyful "Merry Christmas!"
- listen to this song a lot
- decorate a small tree for your kitchen: decorate it with red gingham ribbons, popcorn garlands, and cookie cutters
- throw an after-Christmas party: make it potluck and have everyone bring an ornament to exchange
- remember to listen to children
- send the seasons greetings - in the mail - on time