Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Summer List

Week 52 of the Wednesday lists
I always have several to do lists going, and like every other teacher I know, I have quite a long list of things I hope to accomplish in the next two months. I thought it might be a nice change of pace to make another kind of to do list for this summer. As I began writing, I kept finding myself writing my normal to do list. I decided to strike a compromise with myself. For every need-to-do item I add to my list, I would add two just-for-fun items. Hmmmm....


Summer 2012


The Summer List
* clean and reorganize the garage * spend an evening catching fireflies with Sloane * bake banana bread and deliver it to the new neighbor * wash all the walls and baseboards, then touch up all the dinged up paint * have a girlfriend play date at least every two weeks this whole summer * take Sloane to an amusement park to ride all the water rides * cull old pictures and reorganize digital photo files* spend an evening with Jeffrey doing whatever he wants  * spend an afternoon at used book stores * change color of front door and shutters * make Koolaid popsicles with Sloane like I did when I was little * work with Sloane to finish her Alaska scrapbook * master at least the basics of Photoshop * have friends over for a family game night * watch lots and lots of old episodes of Chopped * hang new house numbers * go on at least two photowalks in June * buy some peonies and spread them all over the house * redecorate Sloane's bedroom *plant the zinnia seeds my friend sent me for May Day * go on at least two photowalks in July * get back to regular blogging and commenting *attend a Springfield Cardinals game with my family * have a long phone conversation with my high school best friend * get my new classroom ready *read many, many books * go to the ocean to celebrate our twentieth anniversary *  empty bookshelves, dust, cull, and reorganize * have a long conversation with my college best friend * enjoy out of town family * make Sloane's fourth grade year scrapbook * host a Summer's Here! dessert party * learn about exposure * go see an outdoor movie * go flea marketing * have at least four photoshoots with non-family members *

Don't you just love meadows of wildflowers?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great list! I think it's an excellent balance of fun and needful things. I hope you will add "sit and do nothing from time to time"?

Marilyn Miller said...

You make the best lists. I hope each and everything on that list comes to be and you still have time to sit and dream.

Roban said...

I love this idea and what you said over at my place.... "There will only be one ten year old summer. I plan to enjoy every minute of it."

What a great way to focus on today and spend that special time with Sloane. This is the only sixteen year old summer at my house. We're still a little pre-license, so I'm going to enjoy every priceless minute I can with my girl.

S. Etole said...

So many great things on your list. I hope your summer is filled with many blessings.

Unknown said...

One photo shoot done! I cannot thank you enough, my friend!!! Love you! Let me know if you an Sloane want to come play in my new scrap room to work on those scrapbooks. ;)

Sarah said...

Great list Relyn-some of those are on mine too-though the first thing on my list is to write the list! Did Sloane choose her colour scheme? I remember having a purple themed bedroom when I was about that age-I loved it!
Enjoy doing all of these things!

Jeanne said...

Sounds fabulous
Love you
Jeanne

Amy said...

Sounds like you're off to a fabulous summer holiday--can't wait to read all about your adventures, here :)

susanna said...

Good list, Relyn! There's a nice balance of the practical (reorganizing) and the pleasurable (popsicles!). Sounds like Sloane is going to have a fabulous summer, too!

Have a terrific holiday weekend, my friend.

Mac n' Janet said...

Sounds like a busy summer, hope it is as much fun as it sounds,

HKatz said...

Your lists are an inspiration. I love them. Full of great ideas too.

Off the top of my head, some things I want to do this summer: find more work, finish the first drafts of some projects I've got going on, discover new places in the city where I live and walk through them, go to an outdoor concert, go to an outdoor movie (I agree, that would be great, with a picnic dinner if its being shown at a park), keep learning computer coding, make better use of my time more generally.

Debbie said...

And yet again you have inspired me. I must work on my list. I do love lists.

Anonymous said...

* get back to regular blogging and commenting *

I was missing your wonderful posts.
Have a great weekend, dear!

Jeanie said...

Your lists rock! Always among my fave posts and this is a good one!

Lubna said...

Happy 20th anniversary. Your list sounds delightful. It is boiling hot here and we are waiting for the monsoon season to begin.

Jennifer Richardson said...

oh!
suddenly summer seems
so possible:)
glad thanks,
Jennifer

Kirsten Steen said...

Wow, I do so love that photo, Relyn! You do make me want to get out pen and paper and start list-making. So much to do and you make it all sound fun instead of 'to do'. Someone recommended making an Angels List. Your list is the things you know you can do and the Angels list is the things you feel you can't. Leave some things for them!

Oldies, but Goodies