Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday Morning Poetry

Song for A Winter's Night

The lamp is burning' low upon my table top.
Snow is softly falling'.
The air is still in the silence of my room.

I hear your voice softly calling'.
If I could only have you near
To breathe a sigh or two.

I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
On this winter's night with you.
The smoke is rising in the shadows overhead.

My glass is almost empty.
I read again between the lines upon each page
The words of love you sent me.

If I could know within my heart that you were lonely too
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
On this winter's night with you.

Fire is dying now,
My lamp is growing dim.
Shades of night are lifting'.

The morning' light steals across my windowpane
Where webs of snow are drifting.
If I could only have you near to breathe a sigh or two.

I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
On this winter night with you.
And to be once again with you.

To be once again with you.
~ Gordon Lightfoot

9 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

To hold the hands I love, to be once again with you, so perfect, the only things I need, to be with the ones I love. Thank you for this.

alexa said...

Such a perfectly composed photo for this poem ...

S. Etole said...

A touch of melancholy to this.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about Gordon Lightfoot. Lovely verses, and the photo is just perfect for them. A good reminder to appreciate our loved ones who are near to hand.

Suz said...

oooo like this lightfoot one
and your photo

amelia said...

Ah, Gordon Lightfoot. It's always so different to read the verses, no? And your photo is so lovely . . . perfect pairing!

Kirsten Steen said...

Beautiful, Relyn! Love your finds. And your photos!
Xoxo, Kirsten

Marilyn Miller said...

Felt the sadness.
Oh to be once again with you.
The words evoke such emotion.

Cait O'Connor said...

You have reminded me of Gordon Lightfoot, thank you.

Oldies, but Goodies