Tuesday, March 1, 2016

a happy story

a book shop unphotographable

Unphotographables are moments from life that my camera couldn't capture. SOOJ means straight out of the journal.  This post is both.

Last Saturday I spent a little time at Barnes and Nobel.  As I sat down at the only available table in the cafe, I cringed because it placed me only inches away from a couple.  The thing is, in a bookstore cafe, if you want peace and quiet, you sit beside an individual.  Couples chat.  Groups laugh.  Individuals read.  I read and write, and I didn't want to hear any chat.

Phooey!  They were chatting.  Often.  My headphones and favorite playlist couldn't quite drown them out.  I couldn't help but listen.  A couple in their mid-thirties was very seriously, and with great care, choosing a name for their baby boy.  They discussed Dallas, and Emmett, and Benjamin.  With a chuckle, he mentioned all manner of odd names which he discovered in the five inch thick baby names book on the table between them.  Finally, they returned to the first name they had both loved.

"Clayton it is."  Welcome to our wonderful world, little Clayton.  Be well.  

10 comments:

Debby said...

I get so drawn into others conversations. The closet B and N to me used to have these cozy soft chairs where you could sit and enjoy the quiet. Now they have heard benches right where all the action is. What a cute conversation.

Jeanne said...

Well if you have to listen to chatting, this was a fun one for sure! Haven't been by for awhile, and finally got you loaded in to my feedly account. Hope all is going well for you!

miruspeg said...

I often listen in on conversations in trains, bus, cafes when I am by myself.
This conversations sounded like a fun one to observe.
Thanks for sharing your day Relyn.
Hugs
Peggy xxx

amelia said...

Love.

Jeanne said...

How beautiful and thanks for the lovely link to that playlist
Love Jeanne

Sally Wessely said...

What a nice story. I really enjoyed reading it.

Jennifer Richardson said...

I love that:) The whole story.
And how you tell it.
Welcome, Clayton!
(maybe angels knew your blessing would be just the thing)
-Jennifer

Kirsten Steen said...

Hi Relyn,
It's taken me some time to get back to you but so loved seeing you in my comments awhile back. I write at B&N every Monday for several hours and my earphones are a necessity! I love how you always find the positive! Have missed you. xoxo

Joanna Jenkins said...

Aww, what a great conversation to overhear.
Blessings to baby Clayton.
xo jj

Unknown said...

What a wonderful conversation to be a "part of," Relyn, and truly such a sweet story.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Oldies, but Goodies