Monday, April 28, 2008

Carry On


My husband, Jeffrey, is always finding ways to please me, to make me smile. He actively looks for things that will bring me pleasure. He takes me for a drive to show me the unique iris he found. He buys me the first Cadbury Egg each spring because he knows I love them. He gets up early with Sloane every Saturday morning so I can sleep in. Jeffrey had a different kind of gift for me last Friday. It was the video below, which he knew I would love. Watching it raised goosebumps on my arms. It made my heart swell with joy that there was such great beauty in the world and I am alive to witness it. I wanted to share in the hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do.

Did you notice the part where it panned the audience and two women were crying? I had to laugh at that because I was crying, too. Andrew Johnston's voice is undoubtedly incredible, but it was more than that. I was so moved by the fact that even though this 13 year old boy was nervous and scared, he persevered. Even though he had been bullied for years, he sang. I love what he said when asked what he did in the face of all the bullying. He said, "I carry on singing."

I carry on singing. Yes.
Carry on.


The photos is by Eric Dryer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

stumbled upon your blog today, and this post made me weep. beautiful. thank you. your husband sounds amazing, what a guy, and you obviously deserve it :)

Anonymous said...

I am a teacher. One of my enthusiastic students put us on the trail of Andrew Johnston. I think what excites me about this video (other than the extraordinary sound) is that teenagers are loving this too. Kids want to find beauty.

I guess that is why I love working with teenagers. Often we adults get too busy to revel in beauty.

Of course that is one of the many reason's that I love my wife; she NEVER forgets to revel in beauty.

Relny's Husband

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Relyn,
Loved it! I had to watch it 3 times, that's how much I loved it! Thanks for sharing this with us! Thank Jeffrey! Blessings, kt

Anonymous said...

hello relyn, i think i got here through yoli's site and yet now that i have listened to this i can't think straight.. thank you for a beautiful 30 seconds :) wow!
your friend, bird tweet robin from down the road

Anonymous said...

This is amazing...my husband found the same video, and we watched it together. What an incredibly moving story!

Dandy said...

I just loved this boy, I only found this video a few months ago. It makes me cry every time.

Oldies, but Goodies