Thursday, July 3, 2008

Good Things Thursday, Week 9



As promised, here is a list of perfect summer movies. Some are old favorites, some are just my favorites. I think all of them would be great to watch at your own version of a backyard drive-in movie. Some of these movies are obviously recommended for an adult group, but most of them are great fun for the whole family.

My all-time favorite, absolute best summer movie is Sandlot. I know it's a kid's movie, but it is wonderful. Funny and nostalgic and sweet, all at once. Click here to see my favorite funny movie scene of all time. Wendy Peffercorn is pretty awesome, too. Remember childhood summers full of trips to the city pool, tree houses, and backyard camp outs? This movie will bring it all back.


I think it might be a hoot to watch an old Gidget movie or a few episodes of the TV show by the same name. Click here to whet your appetite for Gidget and all things cute. The movies and the TV series are all available from Netflix.


Another great summer movie is A League of Their Own. It's about the women who played professional baseball while the boys were off fighting WWII. Click here for my favorite scene in the movie. I told you that I love to boogie.


If you haven't seen Summertime yet, you really should. Who hasn't dreamed of a whirlwind romance in Venice? This wonderful film, starring Katherine Hepburn, was nominated for two Oscars.


Of course, with the Fourth approaching, I must mention Independence Day for a summer movie. Girls, do you need a hit of testosterone? How about just plain silliness?


Speaking of testosterone made me think of men. Now I'm thinking that it just wouldn't be summer without watching the volleyball scene in Top Gun. This movie is probably not be the best thing for a movie night, family or otherwise. I just wanted to share something beautiful with you. ;^)


If you still haven't found something you are interested in, why not see my post last week for more links to great movies to watch at a drive-in or from the comfort of your own living room. So, what great summer movies did I miss? Please leave a comment and tell me your favorites.




The photo above was found here.


1 comment:

Jessica said...

I think I need to come to your backyard drive in because I haven't seen any of those movies. (sidenote: I've hardly seen any movies-they aren't really my thing but the drive in is...so how's that for a girl of contradictions?)

Oldies, but Goodies