Friday, August 8, 2008

A Silly Celebration


I am the kind of girl who gets weepy at Hallmark commercials and emotionally involved in things that don't matter very much. I really, really get excited to hear some one's good news. I feel sympathy pains when someone gets hurt or sick. I am usually the first person my friends come to when they get a new car because they know I'll be thrilled for them and demand a ride as soon as possible. I think the word for what I am is ENTHUSIASTIC.

Today is an example of the silly things I get excited about. Did you know today's date is 08-08-08? Seriously, how cool is that? And so, in honor of the day and of being excited over the little things, I offer you this post.


Eight Lists of Eight
all lists in no particular order


Eight things that make me cry
  • fireworks
  • the scene in Cool Runnings at the end of their Olympic run
  • doing something special for Sloane like the American Girl brunch
  • when an adult puts his or her hand on their heart and says the Pledge of Allegiance like they mean it
  • a really beautiful sunset
  • watching an American take the podium at the Olympics
  • any time the underdog wins or the dork boy gets the beautiful girl
  • singing the National Anthem, every time


Eight chores you can do in eight minutes
  • load or empty the dishwasher
  • sort the laundry
  • pump the gas
  • peruse your child's school papers and sign the appropriate forms
  • clean the toilet and wipe down the bathroom sink
  • pack a sack lunch for tomorrow
  • iron a dress shirt perfectly
  • call your mother


Eight presents to give for no reason at all
  • a compliment: sincere and told to a boss or family member
  • time: lend a hand, notice when someone is overwhelmed and pitch in
  • an encouraging note: on pretty paper with hand-written details with specifics of why you love or appreciate that person
  • a well-loved book with a ribbon bookmark
  • mix "tape"
  • half pound Hershey bar: about $1.50 at WalMart big statement, low price
  • lavender sachet made from a vintage hankie is pure, old fashioned loveliness
  • a generous single serving of the dessert you made for your family last night


Eight great children's books that grown ups will love
  • Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett
  • The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
  • Tales of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
  • The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Famer
  • By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleischman
  • Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
  • Holes by Louis Sachar
  • The Houdini Box by Brian Selznick


Eight visually stunning movies
  • Amelie
  • Age of Innocence
  • Hero
  • Last of the Mohicans
  • Moulin Rouge
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • Wings of a Dove
  • Hero (it's so beautiful I had to list it twice)


Eight songs that celebrate summer
  • California Girls by the Beach Boys
  • Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
  • Girl, Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae
  • Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles
  • Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet
  • Pina Colada Song by Rupert Holmes
  • Roam by the B52s
  • Soak Up the Sun by Sheryl Crow


Eight incredible and prolific hyper-modern authors
  • Elizabeth Berg
  • Rick Bragg
  • Sandra Dallas
  • Neil Gaiman
  • Elizabeth Nobel
  • Ruth Reichl
  • Amy Tan
  • Jacqueline Winspear


Eight favorite TV series from Netflix
  • Beauty and the Beast (I know it's cheesy and faux romantic, but I loved it when it first came out in the early 90s.)
  • Flipper (for Sloane)
  • Gilligan's Island (for Sloane)
  • Gilmore Girls (for the grown-ups)
  • Little House on the Prairie (for the family)
  • Lost (So. Jack or Sawyer? Or Said?)
  • McLoud's Daughters (for me, from Australia and really cool.)
  • West Wing (all me)


Happy 08.Day to you all!
I hope you take the time this weekend to revel in the silly and appreciate the little things.





Please click here and follow the links to more images by the photographers who lent me their 8s. Click here for the post that inspired this one.

10 comments:

Caroline said...

What a great list! Thanks for sharing. I love the movie Amelie...so wonderful!

Anonymous said...

i am just loving these photo strips you create to go with your blog theme of the day relyn. very cool '8's.

it doesn't surprise me you are tender hearted and always ready for having a cry, offering a hug or sharing a happy moment. you have so many lists of eight! i memorized the eight chores for eight minutes :) i went over and did one at julie's when i saw the idea was inspired by her.
xox

dee said...

Oh, I loooove Otis Redding. One of my all-time faves. And I could add James and the Giant Peach and Charlotte's Web to this book list, for sure.

Happy to read this. I just did a little exercise like this and it's fun, isn't it? Really enjoyed your answers.

Patti said...

I just love your lists! What a perfect way to celebrate 8-8-08!! I am thrilled you included Elizabeth Berg as a fav author- she is at the top for me! Love the summer music list. Thanks for reminding me that although school may be starting next week technically summer is NOT yet over!

tangobaby said...

Relyn, could you get any more awesome?!! Honestly, your lists are so fantastic. I'm enjoying all of them.

I remember going to the naturalization ceremony of my future ex-husband (does that make sense) and bawling my eyes out when all of those newly minted Americans said their first Pledge of Allegiance.

Of course I love your Visually Stunning Movie List! Amelie is such a gorgeous movie, as are the others. I would add a couple more as backups, including the first half of Lawrence of Arabia (simply brilliant and overwhelming), Marie Antoinette, by Sofia Copola, and the films of Wes Anderson, especially The Darjeeling Limited. His films have a colorful, playful and magic realism about them.

I am not familiar with the children's books or the TV series (although back in the day, I had a lady ask me for my autograph because I bore a slight resemblance to Linda Hamilton when she was on that series). But I will look for those books to share with my LCG someday.

As for TV series, you may look out for The Darling Buds of May. It's a British series about a large farm family in Kent and it's simply one of the sweetest, most charming things you will ever watch. And you can see what Catherine Zeta-Jones looked like when she was just maybe 18.

Thanks for your wonderful sunshine-y list today!

Rumour has it said...

Dear Relyn, thank you so much for all your attention and presence!! Our son Thomas restored entirely and he seemed to enjoy our trip to France as much as his parents and sisters did :D
Thanks also for your prayers; I think that's the most powerful way of helping someone and yours go straight to Heaven, I'm sure. Our computer crashed severely last week and internet wasn't available for me. It showed me how dependent we can be of our computer and all this e-world; sometimes too much maybe. I'll come back to read all your last posts. I just finished my day and in Belgium it is already 1:20 in the morning... time to go to bed :D
A big hug for you and warm greetings. Love, Marjolijn

beth said...

Thanks for making 8-8-08 such a fun day with your list of fun and great things !!!!

And somehow I just knew you were an emotional person....maybe because since I am too, I could just sense it in you.

And E. Berg....well, I LOVE her !!

GO USA....GO USA !!!!

paris parfait said...

Such a fabulous collection of lucky 8s! This year I've been thinking about all the years that have 8s in them and realised they've been the best ones for me, in which truly significant events happened and I met people of great importance to my life! Great photo collage.

studio wellspring said...

you are so very delightful and charming. really, i'm just in awe over here. :o)

Jaime said...

This is terrific! Not only are these great lists, but great references too. The next time I am looking for a good movie or children's book, I am coming back to this lovely post.

Much love
xo

Oldies, but Goodies