Monday, November 23, 2009

The Things We Do For Love

Meet Captain Anne Cutlass and her trusty swain Long Knife Tom. These two are the absolute loves of my life. This is my favorite picture. Ever. I took it last night at the end of a wonderful day. Sloane's birthday party had been postponed another week because she'd been so sick. Finally, party day arrived, 13 days after her birthday. This year was a pirate party, chosen mostly because Daddy said he would dress up if it was a pirate party. Jeffrey is one daddy who never disappoints. Ever.

Not only did he make the costumes.


He made the treasure chest.


I made the ugly cake.


Oh well. There's no such thing as Super Mom. I do think, though, there just might possibly be such a thing as Super Dad. If there is, my husband is it.

You see, Jeffrey is not a party guy. Each year he asks me in utter sincerity if we can please not have birthday party for him this year. He doesn't like parties. He doesn't like dancing. He doesn't like silly. And, most of all, he doesn't like costumes. He really, really doesn't like dancing or costumes. Jeffrey's fine with all of these things for anyone who enjoys them, just not for himself.

But, you see. Jeffrey is a Daddy. The daddy of a much loved, very silly little girl. And Daddy Jeffrey does not disappoint. So there he was, in frayed and ragged, homemade capri-length sailor pants. Nobody but me knew that his jeans were in the cupboard in case he needed to make a quick trip to the grocery store. Silly only goes so far, even for Sloane. There he was on the floor reading to a gaggle of second graders.


There he was, attaching pirate tattoos. There he was, coloring beside the shy ones. There he was, hiding the treasure chest and making his treasure map look old.

There he was. Making his daughter - and his wife - very, very happy.

31 comments:

Tracy said...

Aye...shiver me timbers, that be a grand pirate birthday! ;o) That is sooo sweet, Relyn... That photo is the BEST! Glad Sloane was better to enjoy her celebration. :o) Happy Week to you all...and blessings for a lovely Thanksgiving. Oh, if you get a chance to stop by--I'm having a gift giveaway for Thanksgiving week! ((HUGS))

Gayle said...

How sweet! And, there he was making some amazing memories for his daughter! I'm sure that will be a birthday party that Sloane talks about when she's all grown up!

Yiota said...

Happy Birthday to your little girl!
Thanks for stopping by!

beth said...

oh relyn...this is the best !!

wait...jeffery is the best and I can see why you love him as much as you do....

what a great dad and what a lucky pair of girls you and sloane are...

and hey, there's nothing wrong with that cake !!

Connie said...

AAARRRGGGG...tis lucky lasses ye are! I know that was pretty corny. It is great when you have a generous loving man in your life for always!!!

Anonymous said...

whats not to love about the cake? lots of frosting is ALWAYS good :)

and what lucky girls you are to have such a great man as your hubby/daddy.

Dutchbaby said...

Best, best, best, ever!!!!

Jeanne said...

Your daughter is truly blessed to have such an enriched and enchanted childhood.
You two are great parents
Love you
Jeanne♥

Dandy said...

Oh good Lord, that made me sniffly. How very sweet! What an awesome party!

Marilyn Miller said...

What a very special Pirate Daddy! Eventhough he doesn't like doing those things, he does them for love. He is the treasure!

spread your wings said...

Aye! he is a great daddy and husband to do all of this. what a great party it must have been. and i can see why you love this photo so much. i'm sure it will go down as one of Sloan's favorite ever too.
One of my favorite old time photos is of my brother's 7th birthday party - it was a pirate party too and all of the boys wore eye patches and the girls those big red wax lips ( i was only 4 )

My Castle in Spain said...

they're too too cute !!
you really have two precious treasures here, Relyn...
A big hug to you and little Sloane !
:-)

Jaime said...

What a great guy!
And that top photo is absolutely priceless. You must print that really big and display it at her future wedding reception.

xo

Sue said...

How sweet. Isn't it amazing what they do for their little girls? My daughter is still a daddy's girl and she's 25. I love to watch them together. You and your daughter are very lucky (but they are lucky too, to have you).

Sue

SE'LAH... said...

That is waaay cool!

Suz said...

He is the treasure chest and little one is the treasure....
and it's all yours
What a spectacular post...right from a loved woman's heart
JOY JOY JOY
Thanks for visiting me a few times...I really get a kick out of it
Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving

gkgirl said...

oh.

how i loooooooove this.
what a sweetie...
and what a great idea for a party!!
:O)

Rita said...

Hey, I loved those pirates of yours! What a wonderful way to spend your birthday. I've missed having my birthday with Sloane the last couple of years! Love Grammy

A Box of Chocolates said...

Oh wow I bet the love meter went up over the top after allhis effort. They say dad's love their sons but they adore their daughters and here is the proof of that. What a great dad and super dooper hubby.

sallymandy said...

Such a lovely hubby you have, and it's a lovely tribute you wrote for him.

Being parents with someone gives us a new insight into who they are, and more reasons to love them. Thanks for sharing these pictures and the story.

margie said...

i remember my now 32 year old daughter's tenth when my late husband let the kids at the party throw cake at him. it was hysterical and to this day the kids still talk about how great it was. and the worst of it all, he had to shower. big deal. sometimes we can just be too uptight to have fun.

Unknown said...

Hi Relyn,

Let's hear it for Jeffrey! Oh, OK and for Sloane and you too! Glad you all had hearty party!

Lubna said...

Sloane is a very lucky girl to have such a wonderful Mum and Dad and I am sure she knows it. Happy birthday Sloane.

Jeanie said...

Oh, Relyn,

It is so good to be back at your blog. Party Guy or Daddy? Give me daddy anytime. What a fabulous, special memory to hold close forever.

ELK said...

what a lucky daughter...such an important relationship!

Suz said...

i can't believe I didn't see the pirate face on the cake the first time!

Jessica said...

What an absolutely fun party! I love that treasure chest full of goodies!

susanna said...

Jeffrey, you rock big time!

linda said...

You have everything to be thankful for. What a precious family! I love the cake. It reminds me of the one I made for my oldest son quite a few years back. We were on vacation, without the comforts of my kitchen, and it was the ugliest cake ever, but oh was it delicious! Have a great Thanksgiving precious lady. You are such an inspiration.

karey m. said...

dang it! THIS MADE ME CRY!

that's all. it made me cry. i loved it very much.

you lucky, lucky girls.

robin-bird said...

so fun! so funny! so happy! and such a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l birthday cake!
xo

Oldies, but Goodies