Friday, November 12, 2010

Snickers

Christmas elf

Do you remember that scene in You've Got Mail where Tom Hanks talks about zinging someone? The quotes below are really good zingers. I don't actually advocate zinging people. But, oh. These sure are funny.

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill


"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book. I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know." - Abraham Lincoln

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play. Bring a friend . . . if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw
"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second...if there is one." - Churchill, in reply

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." - Count Talleyrand

"You, Mr. Wilkes, will die either of the pox or on the gallows." - the Earl of Sandwich
"That depends, my lord, on whether I embrace your mistress or your principles." - John Wilkes


This adorable Christmas elf is
my second Senior. We took pictures at WalMart in the Christmas aisle. Her idea since she loves Christmas. Great idea! Kendra is quirky and fun and game for anything. We had a blast together.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Mark Twain sure had a sense of humor.

Jeanne said...

I love you
I love all you share
Jeanne♥

Tracy said...

Thanks for the smiles this morning. Have a super weekend!

Unknown said...

As for Churchill and Mr Wilkes one might say "touché" ! One has to admire a clever, cutting remark!

Marilyn Miller said...

Yes, they did bring smiles. I sometimes by accident will say something like these, but then am embarrassed.

Love the photo and that Kendra wanted to have her pictures taken at Walmart.

Unknown said...

great quotes

Sarah said...

Funny! They made Andy laugh too!

S. Etole said...

you can't help saying "ouch," with some of these ...

Kirsten Steen said...

Hi Relyn. I love that one between Bernard Shaw and Churchill. And thank you too for your very sweet comment on my blog. To answer your question, for all my photos, I use my simple point-and-shoot Olympus Camedia (C-740 Ultra Zoom) digital camera. But thanks for thinking it was something better. I've never invested in more expensive equipment as I don't know enough about it but I've threatened all my life to take a photography class. One day I'll actually do it! Happy Weekend!

SE'LAH... said...

thanks for bringing me a wide smile. happy world kindness day. one love. thinking of you.

beth said...

thanks for making me laugh....

meandering pearl said...

oh, a cupboard full of smiles!!! hope you're having a gorgeous day!!!

sending armfulls of loveliness

Char said...

i love collecting quotes

Jennifer Richardson said...

Grinning....good ones:)
-Jennifer

GailO said...

:) Thanks for the smiles this evening!

Patti said...

What a riot! Those were fun to read- thanks!

Jeanie said...

Ha! Love it!

Jaime said...

lol....I love the banter between Shaw and Churchill.

Oldies, but Goodies