Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Morning Poetry

eagle
I Rise
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.
~ Maya Angelou

9 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

I love this poem by Maya Angelou. We will rise and rise again with sassiness for sure. Happy time with your family.

Claire said...

Lord bless Maya. My goodness, what a voice.

Joanna said...

I hadn't seen this before, and wow, it's so powerful.

x

joyce said...

Hi, I popped by from Sandy's blog, your blog title caught my eye...I'm a returning lapsed blogger. I really like your site and hope you don't mind if I pop in and out sometimes. The "little Me" picture is a neat idea...you look pretty much the same age I was in 1972!

Tracy said...

This is wonderful...Anything Maya Angelou write hits the heart! I love that line, "Does my sassiness upset you?" ;o) Happy Day, Relyn... I always love your weekend poetry ((HUGS))

Amy said...

Beautiful. Sigh.

Hope you and your family are enjoying your long weekend to the fullest!

S. Etole said...

I enjoy the strength of this.

susanna said...

Oh yeah, Maya Angelou! She's good! I hadn't read this piece before so thank you for introducing me to it today, Relyn. Btw, have you read Maya Angelou's book Letter to My Daughter? It's an interesting read - collections from her own life experiences, lessons that she learned along the way.

Jeanie said...

I've loved this poem for a long time. Reading it here, line by line, it transcends its original power. Thanks for sharing this one.

Oldies, but Goodies